Saturday, September 3, 2011

Where Would You LOVE to Cook Today!


Ok I can keep doing these post without adding Aunt Ruthie's 
Kitchen.
I don't think there is a kitchen out there I like more.
This has to be the "first Place" at the fair of kitchens!


Makes you want to cook! 
When I was trying to decide on a recipe all 
I could think of was Ruthie's wonderful recipes. 
And since she not only does she have an amazing blog, 
all of the recipes I have gotten from her blog have been just as wonderful. 
So I decided on one of hers. 
If you haven't been to her blog you must stop by. But fair warning...
you will be there for hours!
September makes me think of apples 
so Ruthie's Apple butter recipe is perfect.


img_3205
Aunt Ruthie’s 
Crock Pot Candy Apple Butter
1 gallon of peeled,  cored and sliced apples
1 cup fresh apple cider
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon Red Hots cinnamon candies (if you don’t have these then put another 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon in its place…it will still taste delicious!)
Give it a good stir, put the lid on:
For fast cooking turn on High for 6 hours.
For slower cooking turn on low for 10-12 hours.
Stir occasionally during the cooking process. Once the apples have cooked down and have become soft use a hand held Immersion Blender to puree the apples into a smooth sauce right in the slow cooker pot…and you’ve got Aunt Ruthie’s Candy Apple Butter! Then make some biscuits or toast  to spread it on and enjoy!
You can make applesauce this way too. Just reduce the amount of sugar to 1 or two tablespoons (or leave it out completely) add the cinnamon, apple cider and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours. You really can’t mess it up, it’s so easy and delicious!
img_3251
The apple butter recipe makes 5 pints. I sterilized the jars in boiling water, filled and sealed them with lids and gave the jars a 10 minute boiling water bath so I could give as gifts or store in my pantry.
Rosy red apples are good to eat
and Mama’s apple butter is always a treat!
img_3244
A rule of thumb that I read about is if a spoon can stand up on its own in the apple butter, then it’s ready.


1 comment:

  1. I can't agree more, Aunt Ruthie's kitchen is tops!!! I love her house too! lol

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin